Random Happenings with 3 kids and a dog

happenings - (noun) something (as an event) that is particularly interesting, entertaining, or important.

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Havasu Hike


Jay, Luc and I went on a hike down to Havasu Falls on the Havasupai Reservation in Arizona this past June.  It was an incredible trip.  My big brother set it all up.  My dad, six of my sibling and some of their spouses, family and friends came along.  It was a fun group to hang out with. We hiked down into the canyon for about 10 miles and made it to a beautiful camp spot.  The hike down was so beautiful as the sun came up.



We had fun hanging out at the Havasu, Navajo and Mooney Falls.  We even hiked down to Beaver Falls about a 7 mile hike into the Grand Canyon.  I think everyone jumped off a cliff or rock (me, small rock).  The port-a-poties were very gross!  That is my least favorite part of camping.  The guys had fun trying to start our picnic table on fire without a match.  Alas, they did not succeed.  Luc earned $5 throwing water on one of the big guys.  Jay broke a toe and everyone got bruises and scratches.  It was a blast!  


The hike out was pretty tough at the end with switch backs out of the canyon for 1/2 mile with 30lbs. pack on.  I felt so awesome when I got to the top!  I made it!  I think everyone was grateful to be at the top.  Our group meet at In & Out Burger when we reached Kingman, AZ.  That was the best burger I have had!  I think it was because I was hungry and sick of ramen and beef jerky.  This trip will always be a great memory.  



5 comments:

Charlotte said...

That looks like a ton of fun! I would love to go on a trip like that some day with my husband! So beautiful!

Nicole said...

wow, fancy slide show. I haven't learned to do that yet! Looks like so much fun, sorta. I'm so not a good camper or hiker for that matter. I love the pictures, what fun family memories.

AnaLee M. said...

Wow! Hiking and running. What's next for the Nolan family? It looks amazing though!

Sherri said...

Wow it looks beautiful!!! We love to camp but I need my kids just a little older before we do major trips like that!!!

Aubrey said...

Thanks for your suggestions--hopefully the elusive manchego will make it to our house.

Your hike looked fun. Who's your photographer?